Wednesday, December 31, 2014

I Promise. This Blog Has Not Been Abandoned!

  So just under the bell.  An entire year without a single, solitary post.  You would think with all of the SM out there this would not have happened to me.

It is true.  I did essentially no gardening this year.  We had an incredibly harsh winter and when we finally got to spring I had issues and planted simply.  A few salad greens, and a few herbs.  I can say that I am glad I planted the herbs.  They grow like weeds and paying for them in the store, when I actually plant okra, seems absurd.  Anyway, I felt a bit smug because most of the Master Gardeners I knew in the area were lamenting the short and abnormally cool summer.  It was enough to get the tomatoes to bear fruit, but ripening on the vine was difficult.

That said.  I have embraced my Rare Seed Catalog.  I have highlighted my selections.  I have even pegged the date on the calendar to start the seeds.  So all and all no worries.

I am going to leave you with a perfect nibble.  A cookie so easy that you really can whip it up in no time for yourself or as a host gift.  And I know you still have parties.  Perhaps tonight and probably through the weekend.

As far as resolutions go, I bid you join me in just one for 2015.  Experience, and share, more joy and laughter!  That is it.

Onward!

Mini-Chocolate Chip and Rosemary Shortbreads (Adapted from Melissa d'Arabian)

Ingredients

 4 oz of softened butter cubed into eight pieces
1/4 c sugar
1/2 t. dried rosemary or 1 t. fresh rosemary chopped
1/2 t. salt
1 c. AP flour
1/3 c. mini chocolate chips


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
     Mix softened butter and sugar.  You can do this by hand but I usually use my mixer.  Add rosemary, salt, and flour.  Add mini-chocolate chips.
      Pat dough into a square.  On a floured surface, roll the dough into a rectangle  of 1/2 in thick.  Cut dough into 16 planks.  Each one roughly 1/2 in by 1/2 in  Place planks on a baking sheet.  Dock each plank with a fork.
     Place sheet in oven and immediately decrease oven temperature to 300 degrees.  Bake for approximately 25 minutes.  The planks should be firm to the touch and sandy-hued.  Cool on a rack.

Yes! You can double or triple the recipe.  These are simple, elegant, and addictive.



(Adapted from Melissa Darabian)

No comments:

Post a Comment