Monday, January 30, 2012

Tarnation! Just Say No to Eating Animals :#36 and #37 One New Recipe and One Recipe from the Bench

I had to pull dinner from off the bench. We were supposed to have a meal of roasted vegetables because I'd been eyeing a recipe for months.

Brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, and mushrooms were to be featured. But what happens when you don't plan your meals and coordinate that plan with your check of the produce at home and the list for shopping? Yep. You find yourself eyeing the River Valley Mushrooms at the farmers market for a very long time before you leave them on the table under the false belief that you have mushrooms at home.

You get ready to prep and realize your mushrooms aren’t fit to be fed to your worms and your sweet potato, you thought you had more than one, should be planted in the garden since it is sprouting.

Luckily, there is always garlic, olive oil, and pasta in your home. The last quarter of 2011, this was the fall back dish. Pasta Aglio e Olio is the new consistent player that always causes the Mister to be very happy and then ask me if I’m in court the next day. That's his way of saying the garlic is enough to cause all vampires to stay away. I respectfully disagree.

The brussel sprouts are fierce! A bit of wow from the cayenne and an unbelievable sweetness, that can’t possibly be explained by the kiss of maple syrup.

Hat tip to Martha Stewart and Cook’s Illustrated.



brussel sprouts 1-29-12

2 comments:

  1. I love thinking of my kitchen (especially that last week before the paycheck) as my own private Iron Chef show. Secret ingredient: TOFU! (specifically, the block found in the back of the freezer.) Now... just with the ingredients on hand, how do I stretch this chunk of protein between five hungry folks for dinner? Oh, and for an added challenge, I'm trying to go gluten-free. This is why I believe in a well-stocked pantry and spice rack! Hmm... come to think of it, I have a couple of sweet potatoes that need attention soon. ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilarious. A wanted pancakes today so after dropping the dog off I asked him to pull out the New Best Recipe and start prepping. He pulls out the one egg, measures the flower and then announces it requires milk. Ugh! I only had 1 c. of heavy cream, coconut--the kind that you use like cow's milk-- & 2% in the house.

      As I went to the store to pick up regular milk, I remembered I had buttermilk in the freezer. Next project, inventory the freezer.

      Delete