Monday, August 15, 2011

Just Say No to Eating Animals Monday: Volume 31: Summer+ Cool weather= Corn and Pasta




Okay, this is going to be brief.  I need to do something about my poor wilderness of tomato plants and I have a short window for putting up pickles because I have the audacity to not time my weekends away with the crops.

Here’s a new way to enjoy corn and I’m going to do my darndest to bring you at least a little more love of corn before the season ends.

I know it sounds like a starch lovers dream but Bon Appétit nailed it last year with this corn and pasta dish.  Trust me; my family went gaga for this one.


Pasta with Corn Pesto, adapted from Bon Appétit:

Ingredients

4 cups of fresh corn, shucked from the ears
1 clove of garlic
1 t. salt
½ c. freshly grated parmesan
1/3 c. pine nuts*, toasted         
¼ c. plus 1 T olive oil, divided
 8 oz. of pasta shells

Add a tablespoon of olive oil to a pre-heated skillet, preferably non-stick.  Once the pan is glistening add the corn, garlic, salt, and pepper to taste.  Cook the mixture until tender and fragrant, remember overcooked corn is tough.  Set aside 1 ¾ c. of the corn. 

Place the remaining corn in a food processor, or high speed blender, I use a Vita-Mix.
Add parmesan and pine nuts.  Turn on processor, or blender, and process at a low speed while slowly drizzling in the remaining ¼ c. of olive oil.  Blend until smooth.  Don’t worry you will have enough liquid to make this creamy from the corn milk that forms during the processing.

Cook pasta to desired level of doneness, seriously, I loathe al dente pasta.  Place bowl under colander so that you don’t loose pasta water as you drain your cooked pasta.  Reserve 1 ½ c of the pasta water.

Place pasta back into drained pot.  Add the corn pesto and the reserved corn kernels.  Use reserved pasta water to thin to desired consistency.




I won’t tell if you lick the plates!

3 comments:

  1. This post has inspired me to riff on it for a risotto tonight. Meatless Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The risotto that this post inspired me to make was FAB. Used fresh corn, tomatoes, & basil, and threw in some pignoli at the end. Sauteed onion and garlic along with the rice at the outset. Served with extra grated cheese. YUMMY.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not surprised. Did you try the cool corn soup yet. It's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete