Monday, August 1, 2011

Just Say No to Eating Animals Monday: Volume 29 It's Hot & You Are Hungry= King Corn for dinner




I've got a confession.  I generally feature food that we literally have for dinner on the same Monday night that the post goes up.  That's why sometimes the posts go up long after a lot of folks have had dinner.  This last week I was out of town at a conference in Boston so I did no cooking.  I didn't get back until late Saturday night and I haven't really gone shopping for dinner staples, just rushing against the season to put up food.  Yes.  I will post soon, so you can try some of them this season, but that's another story.

My husband said he wasn't very hungry so when I asked him what he wanted for dinner he said, "Corn."

Corn should be a seasonal staple in your home because it's quick and versatile.

Here's what you can do with it.

Strip the husk and eat it.
Cook.  Then strip the husk.  Then slather it, like our Mexican food cart guys do, with mayo, cayenne, butter (yeah, I know they use bottles of Parkay), and a squeeze of lime.
Cook it.  Strip the husk and remove the kernels from the cob for an array of uses including my favorite, in salad.

But, corn is a far more fragile vegetable than it appears.  Sure you can roast in literally on top of coals, grill it, boil it, but if you cook it too long the kernels go from sweet and juicy to dry and crunchy.  And really, I don't know why anyone would remove corn from its protective husk until immediately before using it, buy you are drying your corn out the minute you do it.  I watch folks do it all the time at the farmers markets and I'm always wondering are they literally going right home to cook it?

No real recipe in our urban abode.  So here you go.

Corn


Take ear(s) of corn, still in husk.  Wrap in a paper towel.  Wet the entire thing, including paper towel.  Place in microwave and hit vegetable setting.  If your microwave doesn't have a vegetable setting try about 3 minutes on high.

Remove hot corn from microwave (use an oven mitt) and allow to rest for 4-5 minutes.  Carefully strip the husk and remove the silk.  You should be able to do this simultaneously.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Great corn advice. I've been known to take an armload of those corn husks from the garbage bag outside Whole Foods back to my compost heap. Though I'm not yet a vegetarian, I find it quite easy to refrain from meat during these hot summer days, not just on Mondays!

    ReplyDelete