Monday, April 25, 2011

Just Say No to Eating Animals Monday, Volume 21: The Three P’s: Pea Shoots, Parmesan, and Pinata Apples- Ole!






I was excited.  I’d taken a task off of my things to do and it had been wildly successful.  That task is food shopping, or at least not all of it.

I have to go to an array of stores and sometimes it just doesn’t happen, especially this time of year when there isn’t any food to harvest off of the deck.

Luckily, there’s a great local resource in Irv and Shelly’s Fresh Picks.  Think a localvore/organic food delivery service and you’ve got the best of Irv and Shelly.  A part of my order included a fruit/vegetable box and that had in it pears, piñata apples, and a beloved sign of spring—pea shoots.

All day, I thought about the lovely sign of spring that pea shoots have come to symbolize and I couldn’t wait to use them.

I get in and reach for the champagne vinegar and the mustard, and the grapeseed oil.  I pull out the vessel of fine sea salt; yes we keep more than one kind of salt in the house, and pepper.

I knew the pears were ripe because I saw them in the fruit bowl that morning.  I pull out the pea shoots from the fridge and a hunk of parmesan that I will shave for dinner.  When I get to the fruit bowl, I almost yelp, “WTW”!  There were no pears in my fruit bowl.  There were kiwis, grapefruits, tangerines, bananas, and a pomegranate that’s been there since before Thanksgiving.

For a quick moment I had no idea what I was going to do.  I bet you know what it’s like to have your mind fixed on eating something and once you’ve decided what it is, nothing else will do.

Then it clicked and I remembered that part of the fruit/vegetable box was a bag of apples called piñata.  Okay, I got this!

Three P’s Salad

Ingredients
1 bunch of pea shoots, separated from roots
piñata apples, sliced
Parmesan, shaved with a mandolin or vegetable peeler into curls
¼ c grapeseed oil
4 T. champagne vinegar
1 T. mustard

Toss the first three ingredients in a large bowl to combine.

Place grapeseed oil, champagne vinegar, and mustard in a jar.  Cover.  Shake vigorously until combined.

Pour over salad and enjoy!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment