Monday, April 4, 2011

Just Say No to Eating Animals Monday, Volume 18: When a Sandwich Is More Like a Meal

I have a confession.  I know it maybe un-American, but I’m not a fan of sandwiches.

I don’t like them for lunch.  I don’t like them as a snack.  I don’t like them for dinner.

I like a hot meal, served on a plate, preferably with flatware, okay, okay and on a plate (no Styrofoam).

So, I went to a Sandwich Supper Party the other night.  A baker-friend hosted. She likes to challenge me.  So I thought.  And I thought.  Then landed on a winner!


This is delicious.  Still it took some time to pull together, because one of the most important parts of a sandwich, even if you think you know what you want as a filling, is the bread.

People can be very particular about their sandwiches so I learned that there is controversy over whether a lettuce wrap (low-crab), or a tamale, or a turnover, or a hand pie would qualify as a sandwich.  After ruling out such exotic items I was left with a filling between bread.  Once I decided I lacked the time to bake my own bread, I found I was not the only one struggling with where to get bread.  There is an entire thread over on the LTH Forum dedicated to the best baguette in the city.  I picked my bread from a suggestion there and I was well served.





How do I know?  Here’s what a couple of the attendees had to say:

 i ate your bocadillo(sp?)  for lunch and dinner today. (i slept thru breakfast, or i'd probably have eaten it then, too.)  so delicious!  and i wish i'd known about cook au vin's baguette before i made my sandwich, as the baguette was much easier to chew than the ones i bought. . glad to know for the future. and it reheats beautifully, FYI.

Ava,
    Your sandwich was amazing, ma'am. Wow J let me take a few slices home. The leftovers, reheated, even better, if possible. The sweet potato was a nice addition. Also, the bread. Every component was great. The end. Thanks


Bocadillo de tortilla de patates y la batata con aioli   Serves 8

Ingredients for the tortilla de patates y la batata (omelet of potato and sweet potato)


13  cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
13 pound Sweet Potato, peeled & sliced into 1/8 inch thick rounds
1         medium Onion, halved & sliced 1/8 inch thick
23 pound Yukon Potato, peeled & sliced into 1/8 inch thick rounds
10 large Eggs (Seriously, get your hand on some farm eggs)
      14 teaspoon Black Pepper

        1 really, really good baguette (not too hard, not too soft, just right!), apx. 3 feet long


Step 1

1. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 425 degrees. Heat the oil in a 10-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add the potatoes, sweet potatoes,onion, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, and stir to coat thoroughly. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes and onion are soft, 8 to 10 minutes.


Step 2

2. Whisk the eggs, pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt together until uniformly yellow. Pour the eggs over the potatoes, stir gently to combine, and continue to cook until the eggs begin to set, about 1 minute

Step 3

3. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake until the eggs are cooked, the top is puffed, and the edges have pulled away slightly from the sides of the pan, about 12-15 minutes. Use a rubber spatula to loosen the tortilla from the skillet, then carefully slide it onto a cutting board. Slice into strips that will fit your bread. (The tortilla can also be made up to 4 hours in advance and served at room temperature.)







For the Aioli

Ingredients
1 medium clove garlic , peeled
2 large egg yolks
1 tablespoon lemon juice , plus 1 teaspoon
1/8 teaspoon sugar
1/4teaspoon table salt
Pepper
3/4cup olive oil


 Grate garlic. Measure out 1 teaspoon garlic; store the remaining garlic for another use.

In a food processor (or high powered blender) mix garlic, yolks, lemon juice, sugar, salt, and pepper to taste until combined, about 10 seconds. With machine running, gradually add oil in slow steady stream (process should take about 30 seconds; and process 5 seconds longer. Adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper.

Assembling the Sandwich

Slice baguette, down its side, in equal halfs (do not slice completely through the bread). Flex baguette backwards along the seam so that it lays open and flat.
Spread aioli inside of the baguette.  Lay long strips of tortilla inside of the baguette (overlapping is fine).  Cut into 3-4 inch sandwiches and serve.



Dare I say it? Ole!


No comments:

Post a Comment