Monday, January 31, 2011

Just Say No to Eating Animals Monday: Volume 13 A Warm Kiss from Mexico



Last night I was multi-tasking.  I was walking the dog; it was rather brisk, and talking on the phone.  While I was talking my friend said, seemingly out of the blue to me, “what is it with you and Chinese food?”  “What do you mean?” I responded.  She then said, every time I look you are talking about going to this Chinese restaurant or that Chinese restaurant.  I just kind of laughed.

Nope, my heart is stuck in Mazatlan, and I still haven't gotten enough avocado, pico de gallo, salsa, beans, Mexican Coke, and corn tortillas.  So I guess I better send this post to my buddy because nothing fortifies one for the Snowpocalypse like pico de gallo.  You can put it on eggs, chips, salad, or perhaps you are like me and would rather put a spoon into it and then place it in your mouth.


I kid you not, even with tomatoes that aren’t from my garden, this feels like summer.

PICO de GALLO

3 lbs of ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded if you want it on the milder, minced
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
¼ c. cilantro, chopped with stems removed
2 T. pickling salt, plus more to taste
Lime
 
Place all ingredients, except the cilantro in a bowl. Mix the salt through.  Drain the vegetables in a colander (yes you do want to get some of the water out), let set for 15 minutes.  Place drained vegetables back into bowl, stir in cilantro. Add lime first and then more pickling salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment