Monday, January 24, 2011

Just Say No to Eating Animals Monday: Volume 12 Warming Up in Chicago


Last week I was in Mazatlan, Mexico for a conference.

Most breakfasts included a green smoothie; a new favorite is celery, parsley, pineapple, banana, and orange. Lunch and dinner would repeat variations of guacamole and pico de gallo, cheese, tortillas, beans, and mushrooms.  You would think I was sick of Mexican but I think I’ve got at least one more Mexican inspired meal in me this week.

This week’s meal, yep the first meal I made upon my return from Mexico, was inspired by Eating Well Magazine again.  It’s even perfect for a weeknight/quick meal.


Quesadillas con Frijoles Refritos


1 c vegetarian refried beans
2 tablespoons salsa
12 6-inch corn tortillas
1 c corn
1/3 c chopped fresh cilantro
1/3 c diced onion
3/4 c finely grated cheese (I used a smoky swiss and cheddar),

Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.

Mix refried beans and 2 tablespoons salsa in a small bowl.

Place a tortilla directly on a stovetop burner (gas or electric), set at medium, and toast, turning frequently with tongs, until softened, about 45 seconds. Wrap in a kitchen towel to keep warm while you soften the remaining tortillas in the same manner.

Lay 6 of the softened tortillas on the prepared baking sheet. Divide the bean mixture among these tortillas, spreading evenly. Sprinkle each with corn, cilantro and scallions, then cheese. Top with the remaining softened tortillas and press to seal.

Bake until lightly crisped and browned, about 8 minutes


I served these with some delicious balsamic onions that I got from the LTH Forum’s Canning Exchange.  I’m definitely going to make, and process, these onions myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment