Monday, January 17, 2011

Just Say No to Eating Animals Monday: Volume 11 So You've Got the Day Off, Have You?



So this week is hard.  It isn’t because I couldn’t come up with something that tastes fantastic, it’s because the pictures don’t do this humble classic justice.

This is a perfect dish for a holiday Monday, assuming you didn’t have to go to work today.  It does have more steps than I would want for a regular weeknight meal.

Today’s dish is stuffed peppers.  Yep, you can indeed stuff red peppers, colored peppers, or yellow peppers but these green peppers were all that I could get at the local farmers market and this time, darn it, that was going to suffice.  No fancy, imported peppers for this meal.  Our season of local beautiful peppers had already ceased.  I have no doubt that this recipe would be delicious with non-local grocery store peppers in eye-popping colors.

Sometimes meat sounds like a good idea to me.  No, it’s not what you think.  How I recall the texture of meat can seem like a tastier option than a dish filled with grains or legumes.  You already know how much I love them.  This is one of those recipes where you can help your meat-loving friends and family understand all of the opportunities you have when you go meatless.  In this version of stuffed peppers, I simply substituted meat with a vegetarian ground. 

Once again, Cook’s Illustrated served as the springboard for this recipe.  If you don’t already have a subscription, you can get a free trial and see the recipe here. 







No comments:

Post a Comment