Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The tomatoes are coming! The tomatoes are coming! I love these Redcoats

Tomato from flower to fruit

As a kid, I didn’t like raw tomatoes. I liked ketchup. I liked spaghetti with sauce. I adored pepperoni pizza and yes there was tomato sauce.

My original thoughts on tomatoes were they were mealy and just (you should see the look I have on my face just remembering them) blech!

Note to those who are trying to get someone to like something, this includes parents: Please offer the very best specimen when introducing a food to someone.

It took years to undue my belief that raw tomatoes were disgusting. It also took baby steps. First, I fell in love with salsa. The taste of chopped raw tomatoes with peppers, onion, garlic, and cilantro couldn’t be beat. I could eat it by the gallons. Anyone who knew me in the 90’s will tell you there was always a jar of Pace salsa in the fridge, until I started making my own.

After salsa, I was able to use diced roma/plum tomatoes to make my own gravy. It was not inexpensive, but it tasted better than anything I had ever had in a jar. Then summer came and I didn’t have air conditioning but I still wanted pasta and sauce. I would dice up tomato and add roasted garlic to the mix with rough torn bits of basil, salt, and pepper, but I wouldn’t let any heat touch it. This went on top of the pasta.  Raw!

Now, as these long awaited beauties form before our eyes. I’m looking forward to doing what my cousins back on the Sea Islands of South Carolina would do. They would take a love apple to hand and bite into it as if it was a regular apple. I thought they were insane. I saw them do this numerous times when I was a girl visiting them. I didn’t know there was such a thing as a good tomato.

Tomatoes Kissing and Blushing simultaneously
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment