Friday, July 23, 2010

Cucumbers and watermelon really are related




Wow!  Just last month I was lamenting having to commit planticide on the cucumber seedlings I placed in the Earthbox.  Today, I have these delicious cucumbers.

I kid you not they are highly productive and sweet.  The minute you bite into one you are instantly aware, without looking, that they are related to watermelons.

This is a watermelon, look closely you can even see the teeny weeny stripes


Cucumbers are perfect spa-style (thinly sliced into water) as well as picked and sliced with nothing on them. 

These taste nothing like the cucumbers in the store and that’s a good thing.

I’m already planning to make way next year for the traditional Kirby cucumber for pickling.   I can’t imagine not having the lovely bush slicer right next to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment