Thursday, July 15, 2010

Beautiful and Inedible Greens, Part II of vegetable gardening

We are in for a bona fide heat wave.  I didn’t harvest any of the vegetables today.  I do have cucumbers, eggplant, Sungold and another cherry tomato that I could pluck today but I will wait another day.

I just admired them and planned. It's time to put some food back in these boxes.   This weekend we will do some Successive planting since most of our greens have bolted. 

The weird thing about bolting greens is they look beautiful and wild and nutritious.  They taste really bitter, at least to me, and I don’t mean in a sophisticated palette for frisee way, either.  Also when you pick leaves on a bolted plant, you get a white sticky substance that reminds me of Elmer’s glue.

 This Saturday, during the Green City Market, we will attend the Edible Garden’s session on Successive Plantings.  I hope it is helpful.


1 comment: